Friday 11 April 2008

Elgin Ho

Elgin Ho / (S) 439 965

Born in Hong Kong, Elgin Ho was exposed to the film industry as early as five years old. He is currently pursuing his Bachelor of Fine Arts degree (Digital Film Major) at the Singapore NTU School of Art, Design & Media. His previous short films, “Foreign Dreams” & “Nineteen Twenties” have been screened in film festivals around the world receiving numerous awards.

Director’s Statement:
I was born in Hong Kong. My family and I migrated to Singapore when I was ten years old. I grew up in a little corner of Singapore call Katong ever since. Thus there is a sense of Nostalgia within this neighborhood that I feel dearly connected to.

But as of 10th September 2007, 5 commercial buildings in Katong are selling their properties en-bloc for re-development due to flagging business and dwindling human traffic. These include the Paramount Hotel, Roxy Square, Katong Mall, Katong Plaza and the iconic Katong Shopping Centre.

As the society in a modern city progresses, changes are imminent. The old will eventually be replaced by the new. Places that once stood by may soon be forgotten. This short film was made as a form of documentation to capture these places that are close to my heart and to challenge the conventional boundaries of what defines a documentary and a fictional film.

No comments:

Post a Comment