Wednesday 16 April 2008

Curator's notes

It gives me great privilege and honour to curate and programme this year’s PROJECT: slingSHORT. I received nearly 30 short films for consideration from all over the places. Some films were sent to me by Kristin Saw from The Substation, some were sent to me personally by the filmmakers themselves, and some I have personally acquired for it.

It is definitely not an easy decision to narrow down to the final 7 films, which will be proudly presented this year. The 2 main reasons for this difficult task to choose the films are, FIRST, the time frame/duration, which is about an hour for the entire screening. I wish I have more than just 60 minutes, so I may squeeze in 2-3 more very worthy films, 90 minutes maybe good, but I know it too well that it can be rather exhaustive for anyone to watch too many short films at one go.

And the SECOND reason which maybe the harder one, is that the submitted films are very diverse both in style and narrative. Most of them have strong stories, not to mention the improved quality in production value. Some films have to be watched again to “compete” for a place in the final selection. Most films are “sacrificed” because of either they are too lengthy or they have to give way for another film slightly more different in form.

It is also good to note that this year’s selection is all about the underground filmmakers in Singapore! Yes, the underdogs, the lesser known, the budding ones. BUT that does not mean they are less good. In fact, on the contrary, most of them create very impressive high quality works, which can be attesting from the films you are going to watch.

Just to say that there are some filmmakers in Singapore are just not quite into fame or limelight. They prefer to work quietly in their little corner, churning out meaningful and powerful works from time to time. It seems to me that it is more important for them to have their films seen, rather than their names heard. Therefore, it gives me a lot of delight to have this opportunity to showcase their films to a new group of audience that is beyond our own shore.

There will be 4 fiction films, 2 narrative-experimental and 1 documentary. The overall mood for this selection seems to incline more to melancholy. But there is also a slight touch of nostalgia and a tinted horror to expect too.

I hope the audience in London will enjoy this year’s selection and be very proud of the talents emerging from this (art-stifling)island country. Hence, gaining confidence for a future in Singapore Cinema.

My very BIG thank you to Singapore Creative Network, UK, for creating this event, thus, allowing another platform and opportunity for local filmmakers to “show-off” their talents and creativity. My thanks also especially goes to Brian Tan for his support and patience throughout. And thanks to Junfeng who is the previous curator, passing on the baton to me to curate this year’s programme. Kristin Saw from The Substation who has helped me so much by recommending and sending films to me. Last but not least, my deepest heartfelt thanks to all the filmmakers who submitted their films this year. All your works are appreciated and for some, I hope to programme them next year if given opportunity.

Finally, I can only say, enjoy the films!
Victric Thng.

No comments:

Post a Comment